Employment Options for F-1 Students

F-1 Students are students in colleges, universities, seminaries, conservatories, academic high schools, elementary schools, or other academic institutions, and in language training programs.  There are several avenues for F-1 students to engage in authorized employment in the United States. On-Campus Work.  On-campus work can begin as soon as an F-1 student is admitted.  The employment […]

Employment Authorization for Certain H-4 Dependent Spouses

If you are a spouse of an H-1B worker and you hold an H-4 status, you may now apply for employment authorization if your H-1B spouse falls under one of these two categories: 1. She or he is a principal beneficiary of an approved I-140 petition 2. She or he has been granted an H-1B […]

Visa vs. I-94

Foreign nationals often think that they are allowed to stay in the United States as long as their visas remain valid. It is a common mistake that results in an overstay. A visa is issued by a Consular Officer at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy. It indicates, among other things, the type of purpose of […]

12 Things Employers Need to Know About I-9

1. I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, is a Department of Homeland Security Form used for the verification of identity and employment authorization of individuals employed in the U.S. 2. The general rule is that all employers must complete and retain Forms I-9 for every person they employ on or after November 6, 1986. 3. Exceptions include […]