TN Classification

TN is for citizens of Canada and Mexico who seek to work in the United States as NAFTA professionals. The work in the United States has to be prearranged business activities for U.S. or foreign employers. The profession must be on the NAFTA list, and the applicant has to meet the specific requirements, education, and/or experience of the profession. Permanent residents of Canada and Mexico are not eligible for TN status. TN status can be granted for 3 years at a time.

Canadian citizens can apply for TN nonimmigrant status at a U.S. port-of-entry. Canadian citizens do not need a TN visa, though a TN visa can also be issued upon request. Mexican citizens, on the other hand, are required to apply for TN visa before requesting an admission into the United States

The Law Office of Jing Yeophantong, PLLC presents this information as a service to members of the general public. Use of this information does not constitute, in any manner, an attorney-client relationship between The Law Office of Jing Yeophantong, PLLC and the user. While the information on this site is about legal issues, it is not intended as legal advice or as a substitute for the particularized advice of your own counsel. Anyone seeking specific legal advice or assistance should retain an attorney.

The information is provided as is without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including, but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or non-infringement.